On 23 February 2018, the EPD issued commencement notices for three legal texts (1
). This legislation sets the regulatory framework for the Producer Responsibility Scheme on Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WPRS) in Hong Kong. On 1 August 2018, the WPRS will come into force.
The WPRS will cover the following regulated electrical equipment (REE):
- washing machines
Requirements from 1 August
- Registration – by the deadline of 1 August, suppliers must be registered with the Environmental Protection Department (EPD) before distributing REE, while retailers must have a removal service plan endorsed by the EPD for selling REE
- Reporting – suppliers must submit a quarterly declaration to the EPD. An annual audit report is to be submitted to the EPD by 31 March 2019.
- Recycling labels – a retailer should provide consumers with a recycling label with the sale of REE and a receipt showing the recycling levies
- Collection – a retailer of regulated electrical equipment (REE) must provide collection and recycling of an item of the same type from the consumer, free of charge
- Recycling levies – suppliers of REE are required to pay a recycling levy each quarter based on the number of recycling labels used
How EC4P can help
As part of our global WEEE compliance services
, EC4P can assist with the registration with the EPD in Hong Kong and carry out reporting on your behalf via our online reporting portal. If you would like further information on our services in Hong Kong, please contact us